An Institutional Review Board (IRB) is a committee whose primary responsibility is to protect the rights and welfare of human subjects in research. All research activities involving human subjects must be reviewed and approved by an IRB unless the IRB can prospectively determine that the research falls into a category of exemption established by federal regulation.
Emory IRB reviews the following:
- all research involving adults with an Emory PI
- research involving pediatrics with an Emory or Pediatric Institute PI
- IRB Authorization Agreement (IAA) Acknowledgement form must also be sumbited to CHOA IRB
- excludes research that is limited to medical record review (see CHOA IRB page)
Additional information needed during the submission process:
- The study team will receive this via email from either RAS or Children's ORA at the same time the IRB receives it. Once the determination has been received, the study team should insert into the appropriate section of the consent.
In Case of Injury (ICOI):
- This part of the consent is verified by the contracts office. It is internally communicated to IRB via eGTS or eCTS. The study team should insert into the consent once a determination has been made.