2022 Annual Southeastern Pediatric Research Conference
Lilly Immergluck, MD, FAAP
Department of Pediatrics
Morehouse School of Medicine
Department of Microbiology, Biochemistry & Immunology
Morehouse School of Medicine
Brian Vickery, MD
Pulmonology, Allergy & Immunology, Cystic Fibrosis and Sleep
Department of Pediatrics
Director, Food Allergy Center at Emory + Children’s
- Keynote Speakers
- Presentations Selected from Submitted Abstracts
- Scientific Poster Sessions
- Complimentary Evening Aquarium Admission & Door Prizes
*The option to participate in-person will depend on COVID-19 related restrictions at the time of the event. If the in-person component is canceled, in-person registrations will automatically be refunded the difference in ticket prices
Elizabeth Matsui, MD, MHS
Associate Chair for Research, Department of Population Health
Professor, Department of Population Health
Professor, Department of Pediatrics
Associate Director, Health Transformation Research Institute
Director, Center for Health & Environment: Education & Research
Grace Aldrovandi, MD
Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases at UCLA Mattel Children’s Hospital
Professor of Pediatrics
David Geffen School of Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles.
Carmen Marsit, PhD
Associate Dean for Research
Jointly Appointed, Epidemiology
Neha Garg, PhD
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Georgia Institute of Technology
Natalie Maitre, MD, PhD
Director of Early Development and Cerebral Palsy Research
Division of Neonatology
Department of Pediatrics
Emory University School of Medicine
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
Thank you to our 2022 Southeastern Pediatric Research Conference Sponsors:
HTML color example
The abstract submission deadline is April 1, 2022, at 1:00 PM.
- Any child health researcher can submit abstracts, including students, trainees, staff and faculty.
- Abstracts submitted to other conferences are welcome.
- You may submit more than one abstract.
- All authors must approve the abstract before it is submitted.
- Abstracts should represent your own original research project. Technology abstracts should represent novel or existing research projects, and should not be advertisements of currently available technology.
- Abstracts must include the following sections: Background, Methods, Results, and Conclusion.
- Maximum 350 words not including the title and authors.
- Plain text only: no figures, graphs or tables.
- Students, fellows and residents - include the name of at least one mentor in your author list. Make sure your mentor approves your abstract before you submit it!
- Do not submit duplicate abstracts. If you need to make a change after you’ve submitted your abstract, email your change to Kelcey Little
Note: Submitting an abstract does not automatically register you for the conference! Neither you nor any investigator listed on your abstract will automatically be registered to attend. Click here to register.
Abstract Submission Links
Notification of selection for oral or poster presentation will be sent via email in early May 2022.
1) What is the cost to attend the conference?
- Advanced/Early registration - before May 20, 2022 at 1:00 PM
- Pay by credit card, SpeedType or cost center
- In-person*: $50 general & $15 for trainees
- Virtual: $20 general & no cost for trainees
- Late registration - after May 20, 2022 at 1:00 PM
- Pay by credit card only
- In-person*: $60 per person
- Virtual: $20 per person
2) Who is considered a trainee?
- Students, residents, fellows, and postdocs.
- Postdocs include only those individuals whose official titles include postdoctoral. It does not include postdoctoral staff members such as Research Associates and Research Specialists.
3) What if I miss the advanced registration deadline? Can I still attend?
- Yes, you may still attend the conference if you miss the advanced registration deadline; however, the registration fee will be higher. In-person*: $60 per person Virtual: $20 per person
4) Will I get a refund if I can no longer attend the conference?
- You may receive a refund of your full registration fee until 30 days prior to the conference. After May 3, 2022, no refunds will be given.
5) Will CME credits be provided?
- TENTATIVE--Approval not yet obtained---Yes. The Emory University School of Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 4.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. The Emory University School of Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
6) Will the conference be held in-person or virtually? Why is there a price difference to attend the conference?
- This will be a mostly in-person event with a virtual option.
*The option to participate in-person will depend on COVID-19 related restrictions at the time of the event. If the in-person component is canceled, in-person registrations will automatically be refunded the difference in ticket prices.
Just want to see an example of a great abstract? Check out this excellent submission by Dr. Waitman Aumann.
What to Include in Each Section
- Background: Significance to child health and purpose of the research project, including the hypothesis
- Methods: Study design - include:
- Type of study, e.g. prospective/retrospective, observational, randomized placebo controlled trial, case-control, chart review, etc.
- Outcome measures, both primary and secondary
- Statistical analyses used
- Results: Include demographics, sample size, and results for the primary and secondary outcomes described in the methods
- Conclusions: The take home message. Don't just repeat the results: why is this study relevant?
- Proper formatting according to the instructions. Do not copy and paste from another source without correctly formatting per the instructions:
- Title must be in Title Case
- Author names must be written as: Last Name, First Name; Last Name, First Name; and Last Name, First Name
- Free from grammar or punctuation errors
What information will I need to submit my abstract?
- Contact details for the corresponding author or staff person
- One or two keywords that describe the abstract
- Whether the abstract is related to a pilot grant awarded by a pediatric research center
- If the abstract relates more to basic research, clinical or translational research, outcomes research or technology
- If you would like the abstract to be considered for both poster and/or oral presentation
IMPORTANT: If you have not already registered for the conference, you must do so prior to Friday, May 20, 2022, at 1:00 PM. Click here to register and select the ticket type, "Planning Team Member." There is no charge for this ticket type. If you have already registered and paid for a ticket, please contact Shantisa Fulgham and she will be happy to issue a refund for the amount you paid.
More information about delivering an oral presentation through the conference virtual platform will be provided soon. Please note:
- The time schedule will be adhered to strictly out of respect for other presenters. If you exceed your allotted time, the moderator will interrupt and open the floor to questions.
- Your specific presentation time will be provided when the final conference program is released about one week prior to the conference. The program will be emailed as a PDF to all registered attendees and posted on the conference webpage.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR SLIDES
- Use tables, lists, graphs, figures and diagrams whenever possible.
- Use brief bullet points, not full sentences.
- Avoid small (less than 20 pt.) font sizes.
- Assume 45-60 seconds for each slide.
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PRESENTATIONS
- Ensure your camera is positioned appropriately so the audience has a clear, direct view of your face.
- Test your microphone in advance to ensure your sound is clear and audible.
- Speak slowly and clearly.
- Orient the listener to graphs, figures and diagrams (for example, 'the x-axis represents...').
- Practice in advance to make sure your talk is the intended length.
Complimentary conference registration is provided for up to two representatives of each pediatric research core or resource if registration is completed prior to Friday, May 20, 2022, at 1:00 PM. Click here to register and contact Tracy Willoughby to receive the PROMO Code.
IMPORTANT: If core or resource representatives do not register prior to Friday, May 20, 2022 at 1:00 PM, they will be required to pay $60 via credit card to register late.
If you would like information about your core or resource to be included in the conference program, please complete the online Core/Resource Information Form at the following links. Please indicate in the form if you would also like to display a virtual poster about your core or resource. The Core/Resource Information Form will remain open until Friday, April 22, 2022, at 1:00 PM. To present a poster or be included in the program, you must complete this form before it closes.