Just want to see an example of a great abstract? Check out this excellent submission by Dr. Waitman Aumann.
What to Include in Each Section
- Background: Significance to child health and purpose of the research project, including the hypothesis
- Methods: Study design - include:
- Type of study, e.g. prospective/retrospective, observational, randomized placebo-controlled trial, case-control, chart review, etc.
- Outcome measures, both primary and secondary
- Statistical analyses used
- Results: Include demographics, sample size, and results for the primary and secondary outcomes described in the methods
- Conclusions: The take-home message. Don't just repeat the results: why is this study relevant?
- Proper formatting according to the instructions. Do not copy and paste from another source without correctly formatting per the instructions:
- Title must be in Title Case
- Author names must be written as: Last Name, First Name; Last Name, First Name; and Last Name, First Name
- Free from grammar or punctuation errors
What information will I need to submit my abstract?
- Contact details for the corresponding author or staff person
- One or two keywords that describe the abstract
- If the abstract relates more to basic research, clinical or translational research, outcomes research or technology
- If you would like the abstract to be considered for both poster and/or oral presentation