The CF Discovery Core utilizes the Cystic Fibrosis Biospecimen Registry (CF-BR) which is a storage bank of several thousand biofluids collected from patients with cystic fibrosis at varying disease states. Patients are consented from both the adult and pediatric clinics at Emory and may donate samples at each outpatient clinic visit, at their annual visit only (which typically runs long and includes more lab tests), when hospitalized, or any combination of the above. We believe that these treasured samples may be the keys that will allow our researchers to unlock the mysteries underlying the changes that occur in the lungs of CF patients as the disease progresses.
Slides from March 2015 presentation on the core and the CFBR can be viewed here.
Slides from a presentation about the CF@LANTA RDP Clinical & Translational Core, which includes the CF Discovery Core, can be found here. This core is part of the RDP Clinical & Translational Core and the full description of the core can be found here.
The CF Discovery Core provides several services including:
- Collection and processing of samples from Emory CF adult and pediatric clinics and their associated hospitals
- Storage and banking of these samples
- Maintenance of a database of clinical information associated with each sample collected
- Contact director Dr. Arlene Stecenko for more information to plan for a specific project
The Cystic Fibrosis Biospecimen Registry stores samples in the Emory Children’s Center. These samples may be picked up or delivered frozen. Researchers also reserve the ability to request fresh samples upon the day of collection. Contact Jane Wei or Julie Flores for a Sample Request Form and coordinate sample pickup at your convenience.
The prioritization for distribution of samples from the CF Discovery Core is as follows:
- First priority: Emory+Children’s core CF research team.
- Second priority: Investigators using these samples for NIH funded projects.
- Third priority: Investigators using these samples to generate preliminary data for NIH grant proposals.
- Fourth priority: Investigators outside of Atlanta, except in cases of established collaborations.
Each price is based upon calculations of the minimum amount of personnel effort and of supplies used. These rates are the Emory researcher rates. External users will be charged an administrative fee as well, contact Julie Flores for details.
- Sputum: $96/aliquot
- Blood: $78/aliquot
- Blood Draw: $15/draw
- EBC: $106.50/aliquot
- Nasal Scrape: $74/aliquot
- Bacterial Isolates: $21/aliquot
- Blood Cells: $168/aliquot
- BAL: $315/sample, may be less per aliquot, contact the core for details
- Service Consultation and Data Retrieval: $28/hour
The CF Discovery Core is generously supported by Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and Emory University. When presenting or publishing work completed using the core, please include "Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and Emory University Pediatric CF Discovery Core" in the acknowledgments.
To determine if you should use "Children's Healthcare of Atlanta" in your author affiliations, please see guidelines here.