Cheng Zhu, PhD
Executive Director for International Programs
J. Erskine Love Endowed Chair in Engineering
Wallace H. Coulter Dept. of Biomedical Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
Areas of Research
Biomechanics of cell adhesion and signaling molecules of the immune system and the vascular systems.
Ph.D., Columbia University, 1988
M.S., Columbia University, 1985
B.S., Zhejiang University (PRC), 1982
2005, Hemorheology and Microcirculation Award, International Society for Clinical Hemorheology
2004, Best Paper Award, Sigma Xi (GA Chapter)
2003, Best Ph.D. Thesis Advisor Award, Sigma Xi (GA Chapter)
1997-2002, Woodruff Faculty Fellow Award
1993-1998, Presidential Faculty Fellow Award, National Science Foundation
1993, Best MS Thesis Advisor Award, Sigma Xi (GA Chapter)
1991, Dr. Harold Lamport Award for a Young Investigator, Biomedical Engineering Society
1991, Y. C. Fung Young Investigator Award, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Selected Research Publications
- Liu, B., Chen, W., Evavold, B.D., and Zhu, C. Accumulation of Dynamic Catch Bonds between TCR and Agonist Peptide-MHC Triggers T Cell Signaling. Cell, 157 (2), 357-368, 2014.
- Kong, F., Li, Z., Parks, W.M., Dumbauld, D.W., García, A.J., Mould, A.P., Humphries, M.J., and Zhu, C. Cyclic mechanical reinforcement of integrin–ligand interactions. Molecular Cell, 49 (6), 1060-1068, 2013.
- Jiang, N., Huang, J., Edwards, L.J., Liu, B., Zhang, Y., Beal, C.D., Evavold, B.D., and Zhu, C. Two-stage cooperative T cell receptor-peptide major histocompatibility complex-CD8 trimolecular interactions amplify antigen discrimination. Immunity, 34 (1), 13-23, 2011.
- Huang, J., Zarnitsyna, V.I., Liu, B., Edwards, L.J., Jiang, N., Evavold, B.D., and Zhu, C. The kinetics of two-dimensional TCR and pMHC interactions determine T-cell responsiveness. Nature, 464 (7290), 932-936, 2010.
- Marshall, B.T., Long, M., Piper, J.W., Yago, T., McEver, R.P., and Zhu, C. Direct observation of catch bonds involving cell-adhesion molecules. Nature, 423 (6936), 190-193, 2003.
Please visit http://www.bme.gatech.edu/groups/zhu/Publication.html for the most updated list of publications.