2019 Annual Southeastern Pediatric Research Conference
Presentations Selected from Submitted Abstracts
Scientific Poster Sessions
Complimentary Evening Aquarium Admission & Door Prizes
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta is accredited by the Medical Association of Georgia to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Children’s designates this live activity for a maximum of 5.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
**Prizes include tickets to Atlanta area restaurants and attractions, including Buckhead Life Restaurants, Fernbank Museum, Botanical Gardens, and World of Coke!**
The deadline to submit an abstract is Friday, March 15 at 12:00 noon EST.
PLEASE NOTE: Submitting an abstract does not automatically register you for the conference! Neither you nor any investigator listed on your abstract will automatically be registered to attend. Click here to register.
- Abstracts on any topic related to child health research are encouraged.
- Abstracts related to metabolomics will be given priority when selecting abstracts for oral presentation.
- Anyone may submit an abstract, including but not limited to principal investigators, trainees, students, and staff.
- The maximum length of abstracts is 350 words and you may submit more than one abstract.
A limited number of travel awards may be given to oral and poster presenters from academic institutions greater than 100 miles outside metro Atlanta based on merit and need. You may indicate your interest in being considered for one of these awards on the abstract submission form.
The best address to use for the Georgia Aquarium parking deck entrance using GPS is 246 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd, Atlanta, GA 30313.
Parking in the official Georgia Aquarium parking deck is included with your registration; please pick up a parking voucher at the registration desk when you arrive.
Once in the parking deck, USE THE WEST ELEVATORS located on the corner of Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd and Luckie Street and follow signs to the Oceans Ballroom. PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW SIGNS TO THE MAIN ENTRANCE/East Elevators. The East Elevators will take you to the main entrance of the aquarium, not the ballroom.
The main thing you need to know when arriving by MARTA is that you do not enter the conference area through the regular front entrance of the aquarium. The entrance to the conference center is by the parking deck off Ivan Allen, Jr. Blvd.
MARTA by Train:
The Georgia Aquarium is a 10-15 minute walk from the Dome/GWCC/Philips Arena/CNN Center Station on the Blue/Green line or from the Civic Center or Peachtree Center Stations on the Red/Gold line.
MARTA by Bus:
Bus service is available to the Georgia Aquarium from the Civic Center MARTA bus station and Five Points MARTA station via Route 32.
The following hotels are within walking distance of the Georgia Aquarium. Click here for a map.
Hyatt House Atlanta Downtown
431 Marietta St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30313
1-866-974-9288 or 404-332-5522
Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta Downtown
275 Baker Street
Atlanta, Georgia 30313
IMPORTANT: If you have not already registered for the conference, you must do so prior to Friday, May 24 at 12 PM. You may pay the $40 registration fee via Emory smartkey, CHOA cost center or credit card. If you do not register online by this time, you will need to pay $50 to register on-site the day of the conference. Click here to register.
To be considered in the poster competition, poster presenters must submit a PDF of their poster online by May 24 at 12:00 PM (noon). Finalists will be selected prior to the conference, and conference attendees will vote for the winning posters the day of the conference. Poster competition finalists will be notified via email prior to the conference. Click here to log in and submit your PDF.
- Posters must be no more than 4 feet high and 4 feet wide to ensure they fit on the provided poster board.
- Rolling poster boards and pin tacks will be provided for each poster.
- Posters may not be laminated or they will fall off the boards.
- Presenters should arrive at the aquarium between 7:00 AM and 7:45 AM to locate their assigned board and display their poster.
- Presenters will be assigned to stand by their poster during one of two poster sessions. Presenters will be notified of their assigned poster session via email prior to the conference.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1) If my poster has already been printed and presented at another conference, may I display the same poster at the 2018 Southeastern Pediatric Research Conference?
Yes, as long as it is not larger than 4’ high by 4’ wide.
2) Are there any other guidelines I should follow when I create my poster?
Yes; they are available here.
3) How do I get my poster printed?
Please contact Wallace Graphics at email@example.com or 678-513-9500.
4) Do I have to get my poster printed at Wallace Graphics?
You may get your poster printed at a location of your choice. If you decide not to use Wallace Graphics, please ensure that you use the most current logos for each institution.
1) What is the cost to attend the conference?
The registration fee is $40 until May 24, 2019 at 12:00 PM EST or $50 at the door.
2) Why is there a fee to attend the conference?
Participation in this conference has grown substantially since the first conference was held 9 years ago. While we have been fortunate to continue to receive generous contributions from most host institutions and several sponsors, it is now necessary for us to charge a nominal registration fee to help cover expenses. Registration fees cover approximately 20% of the total cost of the conference.
3) How can I pay the registration fee?
If you pre-register, you may pay via credit card, Emory smartkey or CHOA cost center. Simply select the ticket type you would like on the registration page.
If you register on-site, you may pay via credit card. Only credit cards will be accepted on-site. No smartkeys or cost centers will be accepted on-site.
4) Is the registration fee waived for anyone?
The registration fee is waived ONLY for those students and trainees (residents, postdocs and fellows) who pre-register.
The registration fee is not waived for students or trainees who register on-site, even if they are presenting a poster. Everyone who registers on-site the day of the conference must pay the $50 registration fee.
Postdocs include only those individuals whose official titles include postdoctoral. It does not include postdoctoral staff members such as Research Associates and Research Specialists.
5) What if I miss the pre-registration deadline? Can I still attend?
Yes, you may still attend the conference if you miss the pre-registration deadline; however, the registration fee will be higher. Everyone who registers on-site the day of the conference must pay the $50 registration fee.
6) Will I get a refund if I can no longer attend the conference?
You may receive a refund of your full registration fee until 30 days prior to the conference. After May 10, 2019, no refunds will be given.
7) Will CME credits be provided?
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta is accredited by the Medical Association of Georgia to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Children’s designates this live activity for a maximum of 5.5 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditTM . Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
8) Is this conference suitable for high school students?
While the focus of the conference is child health research, the content itself is for adult researchers. If a student under age 18 is interested in attending, the student should contact Barbara Kilbourne.